Suppose you ask, “What is a permalink?”. Here you will find answers about the meaning of the term Permalink, complete with its functions and how to create a Permalink. A permalink is a unique and immutable link for a website or blog post published on the internet. When the link address is entered into the browser or clicked as a hyperlink, the permalink will then point to a specific page. Come on, keep reading to understand the meaning of permalinks further!
What are permalinks?
Permalink is another name for the URL of any blog post or website page. Permalink is what you write in the browser address bar if you want to visit a specific article. Permalink stands for a permanent link or permanent link. In addition, the permalink can also be interpreted as a website address that is expected to remain the same and not change. The purpose of permalinks is to make it easier for the audience to remember the link and to make it easier for search engines to find it.
If the permalinks on your site aren’t working correctly, it’s possible that the permalinks are having problems or broken links. This makes it difficult for the audience to access the intended link address. Therefore, it is imperative to learn how to create the proper permalinks, so that website pages are easily accessible and found by search engines.
Functions of permalinks
Basically, there are two main functions of permanent links: improving site SEO and influencing the reader experience. For more details, let’s see the following discussion.
1. Permalinks improve SEO
Search engines use permanent links to index web pages. This aims to influence the level of ability of the site’s pages to be easier to find in search results. Especially when someone enters related keywords into a search engine like Google. Therefore, the permalink structure is an important part that will make your website pages more SEO-friendly and help you capture more audience in search traffic.
2. Improve the reader experience
Optimizing search is very important, but don’t forget to consider the audience experience. The purpose of creating an exemplary structure of permalinks is to help the audience navigate the site easily. Audiences will quickly understand the link address if they click on the link or paste it into the browser address bar.
A simple and straightforward link structure always looks better than a link consisting of a combination of numbers and letters. So, don’t let cluttered permalinks detract from your on-page audience experience. Let’s look at the comparison between the two permalinks below.
Example of bad permalink structure
Example of good permalink structure
How to create SEO-friendly permalinks friendly
A good characteristic of permalinks is that they are SEO-friendly. How to? Follow these instructions.
- It must start with HTTPS. This shows that the web page is guaranteed to be safe. This means that any information sent between the web browser and the web server is encrypted.
- Links should be short and descriptive. The hallmark of an exemplary structure of a permalink is that it should be brief and not lengthy. However, the permalink must also still describe the topic or title of the page.
For example, consider the following two permalinks.
- Need to include SEO keywords.
- SEO keywords are search phrases that a user types in the search box of a search engine.
- Including those terms in the permalink gives search engines a solid clue about the content of the site’s pages. This will increase the chances of getting high rankings for that keyword.
- Hyphens must separate the words in the permalink. Each word that forms the permalink must be separated by a ‘-‘ and no other character.
- To avoid problems, all letters in the permalink must be lowercase. This is because some web servers interpret uppercase characters differently.
- Do not include unnecessary words. For example, like “a”, “the”, “on”, “and”, “is”, “of”, “you” and other similar words. They are general words that do not help understand the actual content of the page.
Well, now you know permalinks and how to make them more SEO-friendly. Don’t also forget to apply neat and clear permalinks to display your CV and online portfolio so your dream company can easily access them.